My discussion with Tina Taviano:
I met with Tina Taviano for about an hour to discuss her bid to become the next Sheriff of Allen County.
Please remember that I am not a reporter, I am an opinionated guy who runs a blog and is The Chairman of The Libertarian Party of Allen County.
Tina has a very good website that can be viewed at <http://www.tavianoforsheriff.com/>.
Tina has an impressive resume that should be viewed at her website.
Tina has over 23 years experience as an Allen County police officer. She has spent time as Director of Training, Patrol Supervisor, Jail Supervisor, and as a Detective.
Tina has a Bachelors Degree in Business Administration and a Masters Degree in Public Affairs.
Things that impressed me about Tina Taviano:
1. Tina speaks well and convinced me that she has a strong grasp of business
2. Tina is a proponent of combining certain services when it provides a benefit. The
benefit can be either financial or increased efficiency.
3. Tina believes in both long term planning and capital budgeting. As far as I am
concerned this is what impressed me the most during our discussion. Long term
planning and capital budgeting are terms that are rarely, if ever, used in our local
Ideas that Tina expressed to me that interested me:
1. She feels the new Sheriff’s building should be downtown rather then on Lima Road.
2. She feels that The Allen County Sheriff’s Department should form stronger
partnerships with non profit organizations and social service organizations.
3. She feels there should be a stronger focus placed on:
a. Sex Offenders
b. Domestic Violence
c. Drug Interdiction
4. She feels that the fifteen Sheriffs stationed at the jail could be utilized more
My overall impressions:
1. I think Tina has the administrative and business skills to be an effective Sheriff.
2. I think Tina would bring a completely fresh perspective to the office of Sheriff.
Allen County is fortunate to have an active race for Sheriff. The position of sheriff is very important to the community and we need to ensure we elect the most qualified candidate for the job.
The Libertarian Party of Allen County produces 30 minute television shows that are aired on Comcast channel 57 twice a week. One is shown at 4 PM each Saturday and the other is shown at 9 Am each Friday. All three candidates for sheriff have graciously consented to tape a thirty minute show with Doug Horner.
I am looking forward to viewing these interviews to determine who I am going to vote for in November! I hope you do the same.
Chairman of the Libertarian party of Allen County