Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Item 1 in the Republican Contract with America

Eight items were promised on the first day by the Republican majority after the 1994 Congressional election.

The first item on this list is

"Require all laws that apply to the rest of the country also apply equally to the Congress."

This is an interesting campaign promise. This was not a particularly hard campaign promise to keep either. Realistically this promise has been kept in my opinion. Congress is part of the Federal Retirement System. They pay Social Security Taxes but are treated as Federal employees.

I wish that Congress was part of Social Security like the rest of us; but, they are not. I think that if their retirement benefits were paid out by Social Security they would have more of a vested interest in fixing Social Security.

That being said, Congress has a comparable retirement system to many Federal workers.

So, in my opinion, The Republicans have basically kept this promise.

So the score is:
Promises Kept 1
Promises Broken 0

4 comments:

observedobserver said...

Mike,

Being that the contract, and subsequent transition of power, was over 10 years ago...I don't remember much about it. I wasn't as interested in politics then as I am now. I look forward to reading your step by step review of the contract and the
"scorecard".

I do respectfully disagree with your column concerning the 1st item on the contract and that they've kept their promise. This particular congress just regressed by implementing lower ethical standards for their own members.
Mr. DeLay (although he isn't the only one) has committed numerous transgressions (some possibly criminal) concerning fundraising,
traveling on PAC's dime, and others that we haven't even heard about...and he's a Republican. They don't play by the same rules that you and I are required to play by...and therefore, I don't think that they've kept that promise. I do agree with your assesment that if they had to rely on social security for their federally funded retirement...it would be fixed by the end of the year! But, instead...you and I pay for their retirement out of our own pocket...and theirs is guaranteed!

David

job opportunitya said...

I surf the web looking for blogs like this one.
Your site was on point and will be back again! Awesome
blog.
Want to see top notch work, peep my connecticut equity home rate blog site for the bomb work!

Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » » »

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. film editing schools