Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Who I am voting for November 7th and why, part 5

The post of Allen County Sheriff is an important one. I think that Fort Wayne is extremely fortunate to have THREE very qualified candidates for the office.

I have given this race a lot of thought. The campaign has been vigorous and the candidates have some real differences in their outlook on the position of sheriff.

This is the only race that I feel that local Libertarians are split on. I know at least one Libertarian that is going to vote for each candidate, I know three Libertarians who have not decided yet, and I know 4 Libertarians that are voting for Taviano. There are also a large number of local Libertarians that I have not discussed this race with.

I do not think the position of sheriff should be a partisan race at all. It is absurd to think that a Democratic sheriff or a Republican sheriff or a Libertarian sheriff would be different in their methods.

There are three candidates:
Ken Fries is the Republican candidate. He strikes me as being a "policeman's policeman." His experience with the SWAT team is particularly impressive.
<http://www.kenfriesforsheriff.com/>

PJ Smith is the Independent candidate. He had to gather signatures and is not raising money. He strikes me as a City policeman.
<http://fwnextweb1.fortwayne.com/ns/election/public_view.php?candidate=20060717144239&submit=View>

Tina Taviano is the Democratic candidate. She holds a masters degree and has performed several different jobs in the sheriff's department.
<http://www.tavianoforsheriff.com/Experience.html>

I have decided to vote for Taviano for sheriff.

I was impressed with Tina when I had lunch with her and she strikes me as being fairly Libertarian. She wants to improve efficiency and she has some ideas that will increase service while not increasing costs.

Mike Sylvester

No comments:

Search This Blog

Offices on the Ballot - Allen County 2024

  OFFICES ON THE 2024 BALLOT ALLEN COUNTY INDIANA   FEDERAL   President of the United States United States Representative Dist...

Blog Archive

Labels


Brgd. General Anthony Wayne US Continental Army

Sitemeter




My blog is worth $11,855.34.
How much is your blog worth?

Followers

About Commenting

Keep it clean and relevant to the post. If you have a question that isn't related to a recent post, email me at enders.robert@gmail.com . You can also email me if you want to make an anonymous comment.

DISCLAIMER

Per the by-laws of the Libertarian Party of Allen County, the Chair is the official spokesperson of LPAC in all public and media matters.

Posts and contributions expressed on this forum, while being libertarian in thought and intent, no official statement of LPAC should be derived or assumed unless specifically stated as such from the Chair, or another Officer of the Party acting in his or her place, and such statements are always subject to review.