1. Prior to 1940, France tried to seal off its border with Germany with the Maginot Line, a series of heavily armed forts and bunkers. It was much more formidable than any fence or wall proposed by 21st century US politicians, and it still didn't work.
2. From 1940 to 1944, there were a series of mass shootings that took place in France.
3. Neither the Roosevelt Administration nor the Truman Administration took any steps to seal our borders to keep out Catholic or Lutheran immigrants who fled in the aftermath of these shootings.
4. During this same time period, the Grand Mosque in Paris was allowed by the Nazis and the Vichy regime to remain open.
5. This mosque provided fake Muslim documents to Jews so that they could hide from the Nazis. This action put the mosque at great risk but saved the lives of over 100 Jews.